Sunday, September 14, 2014

Can Students ‘Go Deep’ With Digital Reading? Response By Dan Grass 9/14

This was an article I could really get behind. I have a strong opinion on whether or not students should be required to use a print medium, or an electronic. This article struck a chord with me when it began talking about the study habits of students, and whether or not they preferred to use print vs. e-book during their learning. I personally have a very challenging time using electronic devices when working on school work. The biggest challenge for me, as I am sure for a high school student, is using the electronic device without distraction within itself. To me, using a laptop to read for study is like trying to write a paper in the middle of a busy intersection. There's so much to look at and mess with, that distraction comes very easily to me. Even now as I type this blog, I have to resist the temptation to scan to a different window and pull up videos of cats, football highlights, or whatever else happens to being tossed around the internet. I could only imagine that challenge becomes even greater for a student who has grown up with technology at their fingertips. Many high school children have spent more time surfing the internet then most adults will in their entire life. I suppose to a degree that means that they have an almost infinite amount of knowledge at their fingertips, but then again, it lends itself back to my distraction theory. For me personally I choose print.

I do agree with the 37% poled that note taking is much easier when you have the ability to write on the text of which you are studying. I think that if technology can provide a platform where note taking becomes equally as attainable as highlighting, and writing, then I think that number will go down.  I believe that if we could push for more successful pen to tablet functionality, students will reach out towards electronic note taking much more fluidly. Lastly, I would like to call to question the historical value of ebooks in relation to print. In a scenario where a book is published to electronic medium only, what happens when the publisher discontinues that text? Does that book simply reside on the computers or tablets for which it was downloaded? What happens when that tablet or account is canceled? I am curious to the length of availability for what could become important historical texts. Again, this is just one more reason why I feel that print should be continued as a source of education above e-books.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that print should be continued as a source of education above e-books. To your point, there are just too many distractions presented to people when technology is involved. Having students stick to the plain print limits the amount of distractions and forces students to interact with the material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan,

    I am on board with you line of thinking. It does seem more difficult to stay on task when it takes two seconds to be on another tab looking sports score or movies, etc... I personally believe that it is a lost art to read a hard copy of a book. I also believe that if students are not going to change and schools allow them to use e-books then the teachers and schools are going to have to teach students how to use technology without getting off track. I know it almost sounds impossible but I believe if we want our students to be successful in today's technology world they will have to learn how to use technology in the most advantageous way possible.

    ReplyDelete