Monday, November 17, 2014

Dan Grass on 40 Ways to Incorporate Your Own Interests and Passions into Lessons

This blog I find very difficult to wrap my head around. I suppose it's possible for people to teach classes of which they have no interest. Band and music go hand in hand, and it is because of that I find no challenge making sure that my personal passions are invested into each lesson. I suppose the challenge I face is not really in incorporating music as my passion, but the other things. I love my dog. She's sweet as sugar. My lessons sometimes use stories that I have gathered through her upbringing. I know for a fact that I have many horse lovers in my classes, as I teach close to horse country of North Georgia. Perhaps using my experiences with my dog can parallel what some of my students have experienced in their own lives. This brings connectivity. That connectivity is important to the development of trust in a learning environment. Once you get the student's invested. It's easy to see that they will work harder in the tasks that you give them. They feel that they can connect with the information. I suppose that's why student's are more successful in subjects that they enjoy. They work harder and make more connections faster. This improves learning for all. Hopefully by adding in personal touches to lectures, students will feel those connections in all classes.

1 comment:

  1. I do agree that when we can connect with our students on a personal level that it is much easier to get their best when it comes to our subject. The hard thing for teachers to do is to connect to a majority of their students since they have so many.

    ReplyDelete